Monday, June 25, 2012

Glass Etching Pyrex Pans


For this month, I decided to try my hand at glass etching.  Something I've wanted to do, but keep putting off because I don't know how to do it.  Also, I didn't get pictures taken of just one project, so you'll have to give me a little leeway.  I designed what I wanted my pan to look like in my Silhouette software.  I decided to go with last name instead of "made from the kitchen of...", since both Brandon and I cook.  Then, I cut out a mirror image of what I wanted on my Pyrex pan in vinyl and attached it to the bottom side of my 9x13 Pyrex pan.  I made sure that there were no air gaps and that the vinyl had a good seal.

I poured etching cream all over the design, making sure to stay on the vinyl around the edges.  Etching cream is an acid, so you have to make sure you don't get it on ANYTHING and that you are wearing protective gloves.  It also says that it doesn't work on Pyrex.  From what I've researched, it won't work on really old Pyrex, but it should work just fine on most.  If it doesn't work, then it won't really matter.  Just wash your dish off and it'll be as good as new (or old that is...)!  I have since learned that you can put a lot more etching cream on and when you are done just put as much back into the jar as possible.  Just leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes.

Wash it off, and you are done!  Now I'll know wish dish is mine at potlucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment