Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Ikea Table to Play Table

A few months ago I had my sister stop by IKEA and pick me up a Lack side table ($8 - awesome!).  I had ideas brewing after seeing this and this and this. After months of the kids just using it as a plain old table, I finally got around to modifying it.  I ended up doing an assortment of activities.  They play with their duplo blocks quite a bit so I super glued some duplo plates in one corner.  Then I used my Silhouette to cut a variety of shapes out of vinyl and then stuck it right to the table.  I did a place setting as this table sits close to their play kitchen and they use it quite a bit to stage meals.  I turned the plate into a clock so we could practice numbers/telling time.  I did a small race track (which seems to be their favorite part of the *new* table.)  My oldest has recently got into mazes so I figured it was a perfect way to use some of the Silhouette clearance shapes I got at one point in time.  I cut three different mazes for the center of the track and she can trace her way out with her finger.  All in all I was pretty happy with the outcome and figure if they vinyl starts to peel off, well just an excuse to do different activities!

1 comment:

  1. oooh this turned out awesome...waay better than just a Lego table! I think you should sell this back to ikea and make millions : ) what a fun idea for the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete