Friday, May 31, 2013

Pirates Aaaarg Cool

To kick off the summer break we have been doing theme weeks at our house before things get to busy with other activities.  This week was Pirate Week.  Oh my, there are soooo many fun things to do with Pirates!  We made Pirate food, pirate shirts, pirate crafts, pirate hats, read pirate books, watched Jake and the Neverland Pirates, painted treasure chests and went on a treasure hunt.  I still have way more ideas so I think we are totally going to have another pirate day sometime this summer.  Here are just a few of the things we did . . . 
Made pirates to eat after seeing this.  My kids thought their pirates needed arms instead of a sword, I think they just wanted more pretzels:)
I had way to much fun making these pirate shirts.  For the "girl" pirate I used glitter pink heat transfer for the bandanna and glitter black heat transfer for the eye patch.  Got my inspiration for these from here.
We also made pirate spy scopes/telescopes.  For the pirate hats I followed this tutorial and then cut out the skull and bones with fuzzy white heat transfer and ironed it to the hat.  I didn't have white thread (or I couldn't find it anyway) so I didn't do the extra stitching around the edge, but the kids enjoyed them anyway:)  The eye patches I ordered from OTC.  This pirate is also holding her treasure chest.  I found these at JoAnn's for $1/each and let the kids paint them.  I also made pirate maps  -- torn the edges off brown craft card stock and drew a simple picture map of places to go around the house with a big "x" where I had a little box with some goodies in it.
A very fun and crafty week!

No comments:

Post a Comment